Juliette Lewis , Band of Skulls @ The Opera House - 09.11.2009

Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Juliette Lewis was in town on double duty this weekend promoting her upcoming film "Whip It!" and of course playing a gig at the Opera House with her band The New Romantiques. Juliette has been providing us with her musical contributions for years. Her earliest being on the soundtracks of her films "Natural Born Killers" and "Strange Days". To be honest I wasn't quite listening back then. However having heard some of her new album "Terra Incognita" I was compelled to see what Juliette could bring to a live audience.

Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Having watched her performance of "Fantasy Bar" on Craig Ferguson's Late Late show I had an idea that she might be fun to watch. There's no doubt that she brings everything she's got to a performance. Everything from the screeching vocals, to the feathered outfit, to the knee pads its obvious Juliette is there to rock. Though I was not blown away I found the performance to be very energetic and entertaining. Juliette Lewis seems to have surpassed the efforts of some of her fellow Hollywood actors/musicians winning over a loyal fan base who helped her sing along to one of my favourite tracks on the new album "Suicide Dive Bombers".

Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Juliette Lewis @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr



Band of Skulls
Band of Skulls @ The Opera House
Band of Skulls @ The Opera House
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Band of Skulls opened the show at the Opera House. I missed out on NXNE this year and Band of Skulls was one of the bands I was most looking forward to seeing. To say I was happy to see them back so soon is an understatement. This British trio was formed in 2008 and have put out a very impressive debut album "Baby Darling Doll Face Honey" with great tracks "I Know What I Am", "Impossible", "Fires", "Blood". Yeah I can go on and on I really like this album. I enjoyed their live performance just as much. The vocal combination of Russell Marsden and Emma Richardson works very well together. Their bluesy rock will be compared to Jack White and the White Stripes or Dead Weather but that can only be viewed as a compliment. There is much more to Band of Skulls. I'll be glad to see them again next time they make it to town.