The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club

The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


The first time I had heard of The Airborne Toxic Event was last summer before the Virgin Festival in Toronto. On the strength of some of the songs I heard on their myspace page I marked them down as a band to see. Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch their set. Since then I've noticed the band getting quite a bit of publicity. From a horrible album review in Pitchfork to a great performance on Letterman. I was quite eager to see them live to see the real deal.
The Airborne Toxic Event played at the Mod Club in Toronto after having sold out the El Mocambo. The band which consists of singer and guitarist Mikel Jollett, guitarist and keyboardist Steven Chen, bassist Noah Harmon, drummer Daren Taylor, and keyboardist and violist Anna Bulbrook took to the stage playing songs from their debut cd including Wishing Well, Papillion, and Gasoline.

The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


Though it was evident that the bands singer Mikel was not feeling well the band continued much to the delight of the fans at the Mod Club who were fully engaged by the time the band got to playing Happiness is Overrated.
A big part of this band's sound is the violin played by Anna Bulbrook. A sound which led the band into their performance of Sometime Around Midnight (their current hit). The band finished this part of their set with Innocence which featured most band members jumping off of speakers onto the stage including the violinist.
Unfortunately I had to make my way out as the band got into their encore which started with Does This Mean You're moving on ? The answer for me was yes... but hopefully not for long. Although I do hear quite a few strong influences (as suggested by the Pitchfork review) when listening to the bands songs I still can't stop myself from playing them my on iPod. Their album in my opinion is really really good, their live show is even better. I'll be sure to catch them the next time they are in Toronto.

The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr


The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
The Airborne Toxic Event @ The Mod Club
Originally uploaded by vasquezr